Sunday, September 11, 2022

03: Speech Theories

Listed below are all Eight Values of Free Expression. To better grasp the message of this blog, why don't you read through all the freedoms listed below as well as the questions listed and compare and contrast my answer to the questions to your answers. 


Eight Values of Free Expression

     1. Marketplace of Ideas

When truth and falsehood are allowed to freely grapple, truth will win out. And the grappling makes the truth even smaller. 

    2. Participation in Self-Government

It has been suggested that citizens will not make wise and informed choices in elections if candidates and proponents of certain policies are restricted in their ability to communicate positions. We want an informed electorate in debate.

    3. Stable Change

It has been suggested that a society in which angry and alienated citizens are allowed to speak their mind, or "vent," will be more stable, as people will be less likely to resort to violence. This also enables government to better monitor potentially dangerous groups who would otherwise act more clandestinely.

    4. Individual Self-Fulfillment

Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identity – and, in the process perhaps, find kindred spirits. Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency and autonomy. 

    5. Check on Governmental Power

Freedom of the press enables citizens to learn about abuses of power – and then do something about the abuse at the ballot box if they feel so moved. We, along with the press, are apart of the check-and-balance system to restrain governments power and abuse of power. 

    6. Promote Tolerance

It has been argued that freedom of speech teaches us to become more tolerant in other aspects of life – and that a more tolerant society is a better society. 

    7. Promote Innovation

A community in which free speech is valued and protected is likely to be a more energized, creative, interesting society as its citizens actively fulfill themselves in many diverse and interesting ways. 

    8. Protect Dissent

Our system is not supposed to be one of mob rule. The First Amendment protects minority views, no matter how unpopular. You have a strongly protected right to disagree with the government – and everyone else. 


Questions

Which value feels most important?

I would say the most important value to me would be value number 3 (Stable Change). This feels the most important to be because our world speaks their mind and vents to others. I think that living in a country where I wouldn't be able to freely voice my opinion, whether good or bad, would cause a lot of violence. Now there is still violence that goes on around the world even in countries that are allowed to freely voice their opinions. However, I feel the reason violence still goes on in the "free" countries is because the ability to voice your own opinion is still restricted to certain ages, or aspects of life. This has shown to be a bad thing, and if it were to be corrected maybe the rate of violence would decrease as well. 

Which values feels most personal to you?

The value that is most personal to me would be value number 4 (Individual Self-fulfillment). This value is personal to me because without my freedom of speech, my life might have been a lot different. I have always been independent, I was raised that way. I have always wanted to stand up for myself and others and I was able to. Thinking about how some people aren't able to do that makes me sad but also makes me more grateful to be able to voice my opinion and stand jump for myself. 

Which value/values do you see in action today?

Value number 5 (Check on Governmental Power), is one that I see a lot in todays America. A lot of people are aware of power and how it can be abused. Being an American means being able to criticize your government and take action in doing so. People vote to let the country and world know how they feel about the politicians running. Having checks on governmental power is something that sets America apart from the rest of the world and helps to advocate and support the freedom of Americans. I was excited to vote in my first election because I have always voiced my opinions but was never able to really do anything about them until I was eligible to vote. Letting the individuals have a say in who runs their government helps to elevate violence and advocates freedom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Exam Blog Post

Technology is a constantly evolving aspect of our lives. Because of this, there is always the argument as to whether or not technology is a ...